Sunday, July 10, 2011

Loving...JADEtribe Nicole Tote

"A little bit beach-y, a little bit bohemian jet set, and 100 percent natural and ethical, JADEtribe is the true embodiment of fashion with a conscience. Whether it’s the handbag repurposed from hand embroidered baby carrier cloths, the hand braided jewelry that jingles or the organically dyed, hand loomed textiles, each element of JADEtribe carries a piece of Kimberly’s heart and the hearts of the women whose lives have improved by making it."


JADEtribe Nicole Tote



kimberly hartman

Check out the post below from shopbop blog - blog.shopbop.com 
Founded in 2009, JADEtribe’s handmade bags and jewelry are the result of designer Kimberly Hartman’s journey across Asia. To learn more about the line’s unique origins, I asked Kimberly about her travels, the process of making these one-of-a-kind pieces, and how her eco-friendly accessories help the women who created them.

JADEtribe designer Kimberly Hartman in Laos, helping with the production of the Nicole Tote


You founded JADEtribe after a long trip through Asia. What was the origin of the line?
"In 2008, I decided to spend some time traveling after working sixteen years in the fashion industry. My plan was to discover a new part of the world, and at the same time I had a dream to create my own collection. While in India, I was inspired by the many tribes I met, and the word tribe really resonated with me–a group of like-minded people, sharing the same values, living in a community. Two months later, I was in Laos thinking of a name for my company, something Asian–a color, flower, or something representative of the cultures around me. I have always loved the name Jade, it happens to be good luck in Asia, and it was green! Being ecologically minded was important to me in launching my own collection, and there in Laos it all came together."
What drew you to Southeast Asia in particular, and what made you decide to work with artisans there?
"I had been traveling for three months through India, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand when I decided to return to Laos. I fell in love with the hand-woven textiles I first encountered while in the capital city, Vientiane, so I returned to explore the beautifully picturesque village of Luang Prabang. It was there that I took a course on natural dyeing and hand-weaving. The techniques used by these women have been passed down through many generations, and provide a source of income while preserving their cultural talents. I experienced firsthand that if women are empowered and have financial opportunities, they are able to contribute to a more comfortable life for their families and provide an education for their children."

Nicole Tote, before & after


From start to finish, what goes into creating a handmade bag like the Nicole Tote?
"The Nicole Tote was the first JADEtribe bag created. The incredible women of the Ban Nayang village grow cotton in their village, which is harvested, de-seeded, and spun into yarn. Leaves from the indigo plant and bark from local trees are used to create the organic dyes that color the yarns. The wooden handlooms take one to two days to be set with the traditional “hook” pattern of the Nicole bag, and then the ladies begin to weave. The finished textiles are then sewn by women in a village near Luang Prabang, and we use organic cotton to create the handles and line the bag."
JADEtribe bags and jewelry are known for being both stylish and sustainable. Could you tell us more about how the line is ethically made?
"JADEtribe products are all either hand-made, hand-woven, recycled, or refashioned, and all are created at a fair trade price. I have met and developed my products with families, not factories. Two different families in Thailand produce JADEtribe jewelry: all bracelets are braided by hand, using hand-hammered sterling silver beads or brass beads, bells, and shells. Also in Thailand, I began to refashion parts of traditional textiles into handbags. I use collars, sleeves, aprons, and the most exquisite baby carrier cloths and repurpose them into fashionable bags. Each original tribal textile is one of a kind, so every JADEtribe handbag is unique."
BUY LOCAL:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...