Friday, June 24, 2011

Nostalgia

I have recently given a little bit of thought (truly, just a bit) in regards to eliminating meat from my diet (beef, pork & chicken and just for a little while...to see if there are any, major or minor, effects in my overall feeling of healthiness) and then I ran across this picture of a JG Melon cheeseburger - an NYC institution.  JG Melon is always on my list when visiting New York - it is one of the tastiest cheeseburgers I have ever eaten!!!  This also got me thinking about another favorite spot on the Upper East Side that still brings a feeling of nostalgia - Sant Ambroeus - the almond cookies take me back to my childhood and to family trips to New York City.  I can taste the homemade cookies & pastries now.  I am certain that part of this feeling of joyfulness also comes from the wonderful packaging of these little delights - who wouldn't fall in love with that lovely printed peach colored paper?  On my last visit to the city my mom and I stopped in for some petite sandwiches, gelato for dessert and, of course, almond cookies for the stroll back to our hotel.  Sant Ambroeus - I heart you!  Another favorite is Fred's at Barneys for the Penne di Farro al' Arrabiata (spicy, heaven!) and Estelle's Chicken Soup - described on the menu as "grandma's recipe to cure colds and stay thin"  Oh well, so much for the no meat idea...it is summer, after all, and one can't possibly do summer without burgers & BBQ on the grill.  There's always fall...have a wonderful weekend!
xo,
Helen

jg melon cheeseburger







box of goodies from sant ambroeus, packaged just as i remember :)
gelato, sant ambroeus nyc

estelle's chicken soup, fred's at barneys 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...