Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer's Bounty

Last weekend my husband and I took our daughter to Foster's Market in Durham for lunch - Sara Foster has created the ultimate oasis for food lovers like ourselves.  The place was packed both inside and out with friends and family enjoying each others company and conversation.  You can find it all here.  I saw delicious sampler plates from the cold case, casseroles, homemade soups, cookies, homemade, fresh fruit Popsicles, etc.  I, myself, had the Cobb Sandwich which was simply amazing, my husband enjoyed the Cuban sandwich and Kate quite liked the squash bisque.  Our visit reminded me of a favorite, Sara Foster, cookbook, FRESH EVERY DAY, a wonderful resource for the summer months (all year long, really!)  Our visit to Foster's Market has inspired me to make weekly trips to our state farmers market to take advantage of all of the wonderful, local, fresh fruits & vegetables (as well as fresh pastries & fresh bouquets of flowers) that the summer months produce.  I have also included a few additional cookbooks that are on my shelf and one by Gwyneth Paltrow that I will soon be adding to my collection.  While My Father's Daughter is Gwyneth's first cookbook she certainly is not a newbie in the kitchen.  One of my favorite picture cookbooks, Spain, by Mario Batali features Gwyneth Paltrow - the two take you on a culinary road trip, meeting old and new acquaintances along the way.  The book is a true feast for the eyes.  And last but, certainly, not least...what screams summer more than fresh blueberry pie & lobster rolls - YUM!  Lobster Rolls, Blueberry Pie is a gem of a cookbook offering three generations of recipes + stories from summers on the coast of Maine.  I cannot wait to plan my menu for July 4th.  The coast is calling my name!  Happy Wednesday!
Best,
Helen


entertaining

peek inside: my father's daughter

peek inside: my father's daughter, gwyneth cooking with moses and apple

peek inside: my father's daughter cookbook: sweet potato ravioli

from gwyneth's, my father's daughter cookbook: duck ragu



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...